Metro Business asked Hugh M. Fain III, a partner in Spotts Fain PC and 2012 president of the Virginia Bar Association, about the importance of lawyers, the circumstances under which people will need a lawyer and how to find one.
"The legal profession is an integral part of the fabric of our local communities. During the course of our lives, nearly all of us will require the counsel and advice of a trusted attorney to deal with some of the most significant events we encounter, such as:
- estate planning;
- family law and protecting the needs of children;
- the resolution of civil or even criminal disputes;
- employee/employer relationships;
- starting a business and forming the appropriate corporate entity;
- buying or selling real estate for yourself or a business; or
- the preservation of intellectual property rights.
"Finding the right attorney for your needs can be challenging for those who have never been through this process. A referral from co-workers, friends and family members is usually an effective way to go about this process. Additionally, individuals can call the Virginia State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (804) 775-0808.
"The Virginia Bar Association serves as the independent voice for Virginia's lawyers, advancing the highest ideals of the legal profession through advocacy and volunteer service."